Re: [Duplicity-talk] Searching for a specific file in the backups

From: Jacob
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Searching for a specific file in the backups
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 16:18:21 -0400

On Tue, 20 May 2008 21:33:12 +0200
Olivier Croquette <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Let's say I have deleted a file by mistake, and I don't know when. I
> just know its name or its path
>
> How could I find the latest backup of it?
> Is there any other solution than to extract all file names of all
> backups and grep on them?

No, not automatically anyway. You'll have to grope around with the
--restore-time argument (shorthand is -t). I recommend starting at a time when
you know the file existed, and then move forward until you find the backup in
which the file is no longer listed.

There might be a way to patch duplicity so it can scan each backup from a
starting point and report whether or not the file existed in each date.