[Duplicity-talk] Bug in duplicity / rdiff-backup

From: Lasse Bigum
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Bug in duplicity / rdiff-backup
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 23:24:58 +0200

Hi,

I have a question regarding the use of --include-globbing-filelist with
duplicity and rdiff-backup.

The documentation, as far as I read it, states that you can use
duplicity as such:

duplicity --encrypt-key "xxxxxxxx" \
          --include-globbing-filelist backup-list \
            scp://address@hidden/backups

where backup-list has:
/root
- **

However, running this command fails:
meridian config # duplicity --encrypt-key "xxxxxxxx"
--include-globbing-filelist backup-list scp://address@hidden/backups
Command line error: Expected 2 args, got 1
Enter 'duplicity --help' for help screen.

It makes a difference, though, if I put a slash '/' just before the remote host.

I only discovered this when I was changing my scripts from rdiff-backup to
duplicity as I have recently purchased some space for backups from them.

While converting the scripts (mostly copy-paste), I accidentally removed
the extra slash that I originally had, and now it did not work.

I am, though, wondering why it is necessary. My reading, and that of
address@hidden, of the documentation seems to indicate that it would
not be needed.

Reading the examples on this page seems to indicate that it is needed
though:
http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/examples.html

The documentation states:
duplicity [options] source_directory target_url
and since --include-globbing-filelist is in the options category, I
would find this to be the expected behaviour.

Is this a bug in in the documentation/code or am I misunderstanding
things?

Thanks!

/Lasse