[Duplicity-talk] Full backups fail but incremental backups succeed

From: Andrew Marrington
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Full backups fail but incremental backups succeed
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 16:45:17 +1000

Hi Duplicity mailing list,

The rsync.net support team suggested that I pick your brains about a problem I'm experiencing on a server I manage with its full backups. The automated monthly full backups the server performs using Duplicity always seem to fail part-way through with the error messages "Stalled for too long, aborted copy" and then "Timeout waiting for response". The automated nightly incremental backups are successful, but the monthly full backup has never completed successfully. The full backup fails on different files each month, but always fails with a series of messages like:

Running 'scp  /mnt/003/duplicity-KefoOq-tempdir/mktemp-PDAbBq-193 user@host.rsync.net:001/duplicity-full.2008-08-01T03:00:02+10:00.vol192.difftar.gpg' (attempt #1)
Stalled for too long, aborted copy
Running 'scp  /mnt/003/duplicity-KefoOq-tempdir/mktemp-PDAbBq-193 user@host.rsync.net:001/duplicity-full.2008-08-01T03:00:02+10:00.vol192.difftar.gpg' (attempt #2)
Timeout waiting for response
Running 'scp  /mnt/003/duplicity-KefoOq-tempdir/mktemp-PDAbBq-193 user@host.rsync.net:001/duplicity-full.2008-08-01T03:00:02+10:00.vol192.difftar.gpg' (attempt #3)
Timeout waiting for response
Running 'scp  /mnt/003/duplicity-KefoOq-tempdir/mktemp-PDAbBq-193 user@host.rsync.net:001/duplicity-full.2008-08-01T03:00:02+10:00.vol192.difftar.gpg' (attempt #4)
Timeout waiting for response
Running 'scp  /mnt/003/duplicity-KefoOq-tempdir/mktemp-PDAbBq-193 user@host.rsync.net:001/duplicity-full.2008-08-01T03:00:02+10:00.vol192.difftar.gpg' (attempt #5)
Timeout waiting for response

Any ideas? This happens every month and on a different file each time so the chances of it being a recurrent freak network connectivity issue seem low.

Cheers,

Andrew Marrington