[Duplicity-talk] Checkpoints during backup

From: Robin Smidsrød
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Checkpoints during backup
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 12:42:31 +0200

I have a lot of files (about 280GB) that I need to backup. I have a reasonably slow upstream connection (ADSL, 550kbps). I have a server somewhere on the internet with lots of storage space and ssh/sftp connection. I want to backup my files to that location. With duplicity this is a breeze. There is only one catch. It takes too long time to do the initial full backup.

I think my situation is pretty common.

Would it be possible to enable some kind of checkpoint method when uploading the files, so that it is possible to continue a stopped backup without having to transfer everything again? I know basic rsync allows this, but rsync is not an option for my setup (need remote encrypted files).

I was thinking: What if every XX minutes (say 30) or XX megabytes there is written a sort of manifest of what you have done so far, so that if the process is cancelled, the next time you start the process you can skip the data that was already written to the (partial, but verified) manifest.

With something like this it would be unproblematic if the process was stopped, the computer was shut down, or the connection disappeared while running the backup. The way it is now the process have to be restarted from scratch if anything happens.

If my calculations are correct, my initial backup should take approximately 50 days to complete. And of course, during 50 days, a lot of interruptions could happen. Because I have a 6Mbps downlink a restore wouldn't take more than 5 days to complete, so it's definitely within reason to do something like this for complete disaster recovery.

Is this kind of thing incredibly complicated to implement with the current codebase?

-- Robin

PS: If it is doable, I might be interested in sponsoring development of this feature.