Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity not displaying some GPG errors

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity not displaying some GPG errors
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2009 14:32:51 -0500

Simon Ruderich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Today I had a major problem with duplicity (0.5.12). The backup
> failed and the output was (unimportant things stripped) only
> this:
>
>     GnuPG passphrase:
>     ===== Begin GnuPG log =====
>     ===== End GnuPG log =====
>     GPG Failed, see log above
>
> No Gnupg log was displayed. Raising the verbosity didn't help. So
> I added "raise" statements in the python code to see the error,
> it was "IOError: [Errno 32] Broken pipe". Most search results
> indicated this is a trust problem, but my trust settings were
> fine. So I ran strace and found out, that my /tmp was full. I
> added --tempdir and everything works fine now.
>
> As my problem is fixed, this is more a feature request than a bug
> report, but I would really like to see the raw GPG output if
> running with verbosity 9 (or tell me please if I missed
> somethings).

The logging should only happen on a gpg error, so I may have something
wrong there.  The reason I push logging the gpg errors so hard is that
quite often the broken pipe error is really a gpg trust or password
error that has nothing to do with broken pipe.

In your case the broken pipe is being raised, but that's not really the
problem.  The upstream problem was a full filesystem that caused the
broken pipe.  I need to find a way to get to that error, or we're going
to keep seeing broken pipe being blamed on everything.  That and FTP are
the two major support issues with duplicity, and regrettably, both are
well outside my control.

...Ken