Re: [Duplicity-talk] symmetric vs. key

From: Georg Lutz
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] symmetric vs. key
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 11:37:26 +0200 (CEST)

> Hi all,
>
> I am asking myself the pro's and con's of using symmetric encryption
> versus the use of keys with duplicity.

I am using duplicity with keys. In fact this is the main use of my GPG
keys. ;-)

The nice thing about asymetric encryption is that - as long as you don't
decrypt you don't need to store or pass a passphrase at all. So I can use
the same public key for multiple machines and even on that machines I
don't really trust.

Of course when you want to restore you need to provide it.

Unfourtunately with current versions up from 0.5.12 duplicity also asks
during normal incremental backups for the private key, but this can be
fixed when the archive directory holds the hash of the remote manifest
(see recent thread on "Unnecessarily asking for passphrase on incremental
backup").

Regards
   Georg