Re: [Duplicity-talk] full and incrementals

From: Jacob
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] full and incrementals
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 07:48:05 -0400

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 09:40:21 +0800
Paul Harris <address@hidden> wrote:

> The full backup set is broken up into 5mb files, so it would be nice if it
> were able to figure out which of those full backup files it could delete -
> eg the original files have been deleted from the home directory.   This
> isn't currently possible... right?

This is nearly impossible. An incremental or full backup is basically an
encrypted tarball that has been split into "volumes". This means you could have
multiple files in each volume. Thus, in order to get rid of a single volume,
all the files in that tarball would have to be deleted on your home system too.
Even then, the sigtar and manifest files each have their own records stating
that those files once existed. If you wanted to remove all traces, those
remote, compressed, encrypted files would have to be edited.

Removing deleted files from the backup seems counter-productive. In most, if
not all, cases, I'd imagine you'd want to save those files in case you figure
out later you really needed that deleted file.

--
    Jacob

    "For then there will be great distress, unequaled
    from the beginning of the world until now—and never
    to be equaled again. If those days had not been cut
    short, no one would survive, but for the sake of the
    elect those days will be shortened."

    Are you ready?