[Duplicity-talk] Automated Backups with separate Encryption Key

From: Hany Fahim
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Automated Backups with separate Encryption Key
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 15:12:40 -0400

Hi,

I've been a happy user of duplicity for about 6 months now and have been loving it. I seem to have an issue which others apparently have as well:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/duplicity/+bug/687295
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.backup.duplicity.general/4245
https://bugs.launchpad.net/duplicity/+bug/497243

I automate the backup process for several servers using a wrapper script. The script does a full backup once a month, daily incrementals, and purges anything older than a month. The issue I'm encountering is after one month of successful backups and the execution of a purge, I am no longer able to backup. I've traced the issue to the synchronization of the local and remote cache after a purge, and the requirement for the private encryption key to decrypt the downloaded cache. This seems counterintuitive since the whole point of having separate signing and encryption keys to to allow the private key to be stored off-server (unless of course restoration is required). My question is, how would I go about successfully automating the backup and purging process of each server without requiring the private key to be present on the servers themselves?

Thanks!

hany