Re: [Duplicity-talk] Why aren't my old backup sets being deleted?

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Why aren't my old backup sets being deleted?
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 20:08:02 +0200

On 17.09.2012 19:57, Joe Auty wrote:
>> address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>
>> > September 17, 2012 7:10 AM
>> >
>> > pretty obvious.. run a collection-status with duplicity an you'll see that
>> > some younger incrementals (_duplicity tells you so above_) depend on
>> > backups
>> > you are trying to delete. deleting the older backups would render them
>> > defective.
>> >
>> > solution:
>> > choose to delete the whole chain by giving the time where the next new
>> > full starts
>> > or
>> > do fulls more regularly to be able to delete more frequently.
>>
>> Thanks Edgar!
>>
>> It was obvious what this meant, but not obvious why the command I issued
>> didn't
>> go ahead and delete the old fulls/chains.
>>
>> It looks like what I really meant to run was "remove-all-but-n-full". I
>> didn't
>> realize that "remove-older-than" looks at files on an individual basis and
>> will
>> not follow an increment up to its full and delete that too if it is older
>> than
>> the given time. Since I provided the original argument of 3 months and my
>> only 2
>> fulls were a couple of days ago and August 2011, I was expecting it to do
>> whatever it had to do to delete all stuff older than 3 months, including the
>> full and all increments.
>>
>> Is this accurate?

yes.

check the duplicity manpage 'man duplicity' or online
http://duplicity.nongnu.org/duplicity.1.html
all /action/ commands are described there. duplicity support three remove-*
commands currently.

generally you should make the manpage your first stop if something is unclear
or 'seems' not to work ;)

..ede/duply.net