Re: [Duplicity-talk] Out of space error while restoring a file

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Out of space error while restoring a file
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2012 13:31:33 +0100

On 04.11.2012 19:01, Laurynas Biveinis wrote:
> 2012/11/4 <address@hidden>

>>> I tested the new release. It is faster: it took much less than 24h to
>>> restore, ~10h or so. Re. the previous issue of unexplained free space
>>> requirements, I have attached the restore log with df interspersed.
>>>

>> did you have a look at the output yourself? fs usage climbs from 584G to
>> 648G, up to 616G it creates the oldest full version, then it takes this one
>> plus volumewise rsync patching to create the next step in time. then the
>> older version is deleted, fs usage goes down by ca. 32G and the rsync
>> patching is done again on the formerly second file. this repeats through all
>> incremental states until your requested date's state is recreated.
>>
>> seems to me like does exactly the 2 times the file to restore plus some...
>> wouldn't you agree?
>
> Yes. So I have no idea why did the restore fail originally for a 30GB
> file with 80GB free space with the previous release. Could it be
> related to GPG fixes?

maybe it's related to the changed temp file routines that it works now. let's
wait if it occurs again and until then assume what we observed above is true.
at some point i'll add a note to these temp space requirements to the man page.
the observation is btw. also based on the source code i checked regarding how
librsync is used internally.
thanks a lot for contributing.

..ede/duply.net