Re: [Duplicity-talk] Direct backup of LVM snapshot partitions?

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Direct backup of LVM snapshot partitions?
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 22:10:09 +0100

On 10.12.2012 19:01, GDR! wrote:
> On 12/10/2012 01:16 PM, George MacKerron wrote:
>> Thanks Edgar. Yes, I'm already using LVM snapshots. I just wanted to then
>> back up the raw volume data, rather than mount the snapshot and back up the
>> files it contains.
>
> Just to justify what he's doing and point that "just mount it" is not a
> good answer: he might want to back up a Windows partition that he's
> using in KVM, or some other file system which has special attributes
> which may be lost when mounting in Linux. I've been facing this problem
> too, but came up with no solution.

i see your point. but even in that case a snapshot would be the better option.
if there really is no way to keep all attributes* the he can still dump the
snapshot blockwise and backup that. the idea of a snapshot is that it is in a
valid state, synced without any half written files or such.
not sure if lvm actually can assure the last bit for vm disk filesystems though.

..ede/duply.net

* i am sure none of these would be backed up by duplicity anyway ;)