Re: [Duplicity-talk] Direct backup of LVM snapshot partitions?

From: Michael Terry
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Direct backup of LVM snapshot partitions?
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 09:38:52 -0500

https://live.gnome.org/DejaDup/Help/Restore/WorstCase#Restoring_by_Hand
-mt

On 13 December 2012 09:25, T. Prost <address@hidden> wrote:
Am Mittwoch, den 12.12.2012, 17:16 +0100 schrieb address@hidden:

> >> you're aware the discussion started with LVM snapshots, right?
> >>
> >> no clue what you mean by "recovering the SNAPSHOT directory" or "reassembling the files in the multivol".
> >
> > Sorry, I became attentive to the discussion because of the idea, someone
> > "might want to back up a Windows partition" - what I had done earlier
> > and now running into problems with the recovery :-(
> >
> > But you're right. I expressed that in a really bad manner :-(
> >
> > The recovery created two directories: multivol_snapshot and snapshot,
> > where I can read the files in "snapshot" but can't reassemble those in
> > the multivol.
> >

> there is no recovery in duplicity.. what recovery do you mean? ..ede

Sorry again for the bad explication.
As metadata (two sort of files if I remember right, one of them a
signature file, the other ?) gone missing, I couldn't do it with
duplicity restore (therefore I was searching for another terminus).

According to what Michael Terry wrote (sadly can't remember where I
found it :-() I manually unpacked all the gziped data with
for t in *.sigtar.gz; do tar xfz $t; done
what created the two different directories.

Further following Michael's instructions, in the snapshot directories,
there already are the original files now, but in the multivol
directories I had to concatenate the unpacked files to recover the
original file - but that's where I'm afraid, something went wrong by
mixing up windows and linux.
I'm now wondering, where a possible error could have slipped in ?