[Duplicity-talk] A few Q's about duplicity compared rsync

From: Pedro Ribeiro
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] A few Q's about duplicity compared rsync
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2013 01:46:48 +0000

Hi,

I'm a long time rsync user which has just started using duplicity for
encrypted remote backups to Google Cloud.
There are a few questions for which I couldn't get an answer in the
docs, or maybe my understanding of duplicity is wrong.

- I only backup my home directory with incremental rsync backups. Is
there a reason for not doing a full backup once with duplicity and
then incremental forever? The docs are a bit ambiguous about this, and
reading around the web it seems some people are keen on doing full
backups every now and then. Is there really a necessity (some kind of
bit / backup rot)?

- I used to run rsync with the --delete option. This would mean that
if a file in the backup target had been deleted / wasn't present in
the backup source, it would get deleted. Does duplicity does the same
thing automatically, or should I be passing "--delete" to
--rsync-options?

Thanks for the help, and duplicity seems awesome!

Regards,
Pedro