Re: [Duplicity-talk] Why 'duplicity without private key' is a bad idea -

From: Radomir Cernoch
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Why 'duplicity without private key' is a bad idea - WAS: Restart duplicity without private key
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 14:22:03 +0200

OK, I see your point. I had 2 motivations for the "without private key":
1) Backup several machines with a single key pair for easier management.
2) Ensure that a successful attacker, who compromises a single machine,
does not have access to data on all other machines.

Your solution indeed solves both issues. However, there is a price to
pay: Twice the storage and twice the processor time for encrypting.
In my case, the storage is not a huge issue, but the computation
resources are.

Then I thought that the "per-machine key pair" is only needed to
decrypt the meta-data, which is significantly smaller than actual data.
Can duplicity use an encryption key for meta-data only?

And would it be possible to combine an encryption-only public key and a
symmetric-key? I'm asking, because from a "BASH-script point of view",
an AES passphrase is easier to generate than a GPG key pair.

Thanks,
Radek

Thu, 19 Jun 2014 13:17:20 +0200 address@hidden: