Re: [Duplicity-talk] Encryption password selection

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Encryption password selection
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2014 00:41:14 +0100

On 08.12.2014 20:58, Cláudio Gil wrote:
> address@hidden>:
>

>> If you're storing your passphrase in a file, nor are planning to
>> actually remember the passphrase, why not use a keyfile? Seems
>> infinitely more logical (and secure).
>>

> I'm curious. Why would you say that a keyfile is more secure?

because a key is the result of lot's of entropy and cryptography. it's much
more difficult (think multitudes times gazillion) to brute force asymmetric key
encryption than simple symmetric encryption which can even be optimized by
using rainbow tables if the encrypted content or part of it is known.

try researching the net. there'll probably lots of better explanations around.

..ede/duply.net