Re: [Duplicity-talk] Create full backup from incremental

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Create full backup from incremental
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 12:00:00 +0200

On 15.04.2015 09:54, Ulrik Rasmussen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just started using duplicity for backing up my work to a VPS. It is
> my understanding that it is wise to do a full backup about once a
> month, to enable deletion of old backups and faster restoration.
> However, when doing a full backup, duplicity seems to transfer
> everything over the wire again, which takes a long time if I'm on a
> slow connection and also costs me bandwidth. Since the server already
> has all my data, this really shouldn't be necessary.
>
> Is there a way to do a full backup on the server side? More precisely,
> can I tell duplicity to create a new backup chain based on the contents
> of the current chain?

no.

duplicity deals with "dumb" backends and solely uses them for file storage. for
this design to create a synthetic full you would have to transfer the whole
data over the line again anyway completely.

however, it'd be possible to implement that for the rare cases that users have
shell access to their backends and can have a duplicity instance running
locally there.

see also

..ede/duply.net