Re: [Duplicity-talk] cannot remove older backup

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] cannot remove older backup
Date: Fri, 12 May 2017 16:21:54 +0200

On 12.05.2017 16:09, John Covici wrote:
> So, that sort of worked -- it removed things from the back end, but
> there seems to be a few files in the directory, but they are of no
> matter I suppose, the chains are definitely gone.
>
> In future if I need to do another full backup using par2, do I need to
> do it under a separate name?  If I do that will the remove older than
> work?

as you found out duplicity does not like the par2 files unless it uses the par2
wrapper backend. unfortunately you ended up having chains w/ and w/o par2 files
mixed in a folder. that's not something that was anticipated during development
stage, obviously.

next time simply choose an alternate target location (folder) when you start
using par2 wrapper or do other major changes (like using a new duplicity
version) eg.

duplicity full /src file://backup

 instead of

duplicity full /src par2+file://backupWithPar2

..ede/duply.net