Re: [Duplicity-talk] Why is duplicity asking for decryption passphrase o

From: Ian Kelling
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Why is duplicity asking for decryption passphrase on --encrypt-sign-key?
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2017 12:08:06 -0700

edgar.soldin--- via Duplicity-talk <address@hidden> writes:

> On 7/28/2017 19:56, Ian Kelling via Duplicity-talk wrote:
>> When I use --encrypt-sign-key, it prompts:
>> "GnuPG passphrase for decryption:"
>>
>> Encrypting with a public key does not use a pass, and just --encrypt-key
>> does not ask this, so whats going on?
>>
>> I'm assuming the passphrase is discarded but I want to make sure that's
>> the case.
>>
>> I'm using 0.7.12-1 from debian.
>
> hey Ian,
>
> signing uses your private key
>   https://www.gnupg.org/gph/en/manual/x135.html
>
> hence the question for your passphrase.

It prompts twice:

GnuPG passphrase for decryption:

GnuPG passphrase for signing key:

So the first prompt does not appear to be for signing and my question
remains.

For full disclosure, I'm running these commands:

rm -rf /path/to/test_output; duplicity --encrypt-sign-key MY_PUBLIC_KEY_ID
/path/to/test_input file:///path/to/test_output

and

rm -rf /path/to/test_output; duplicity --encrypt-key MY_PUBLIC_KEY_ID
/path/to/test_input file:///path/to/test_output

> you can easily circumvent it by using a machine key pair and just add your
> personal public key as additional encryption key.
>
> ..ede

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Please be more specific.

--
Ian Kelling | Senior Systems Administrator, Free Software Foundation
GPG Key: B125 F60B 7B28 7FF6 A2B7  DF8F 170A F0E2 9542 95DF