durito-dev

[Durito-dev] Source code CVS upload

From: ahg
Subject: [Durito-dev] Source code CVS upload
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 19:28:00 -0500 (CDT)

OK! I've finally committed the prototype source code to CVS. It's all available
under the GPL.

As many of you have heard me say several times, the code is _really_ ugly. I
think a lot of stuff will have to be re-done completely; that's why I made a
separate prototype/ directory in the cvs repository.

The areas that I think can be worked on right away are:

1) RDF/OWL ontology/schema design. This involves reviewing how and why the
ontologies were designed as they were, and proposing changes/solutions for a
production version of the application. (Note that all the stuff in the
ontologies that deals with templating should definitely be replaced with a much
simpler and more powerful mechanism.)

2) Doing a complete model of how the application should work, using UML. Well,
this is something I know very little about, but I have a hunch it'd really help.
The idea is to rigorously design the objects and algorithms in the production
version of the application, from the outset.

Once that's done, the main programming areas will be: 1) RDF backend -- I think
we'll have to take an existing RDF repositoy program and improve it; and 2)
Durito/Fototeca middle end. I think polishing the html/javascript/css front end
will come last, though from the beginning we should have an idea of some of the
functions that will go there.

Unfortunately I won't have time to work on this very much over the next few
months--my status as an "intern" means that I must finish my Master's thesis
very soon. We're right now looking for funding that will allow us to continue
with the project afterwards.

So... _please_ feel free to take initiatives with any of these tasks. That'd be
really great. Please also feel free to send any questions you have, preferably
to this mailing list.

There are also a few texts in Spanish about this project. Two describe the
project directly, and another explains some proposals I have regarding
cataloguing theory in general, and how it relates to new technologies such as
the Semantic Web. Soon I hope to post them on the Durito web site... I'm afraid
I don't know when I'll have time to translate them to English, however.

Thanks again for your help!!!!
Andrew

Obtén tu correo en www.correo.unam.mx
UNAMonos Comunicándonos