dvdrtools-users

[Dvdrtools-users] Is dvdrecord able to burn a full 4.7GB ?

From: Lachlan Cranswick
Subject: [Dvdrtools-users] Is dvdrecord able to burn a full 4.7GB ?
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 18:25:10 +0100

Hi Matt,

One workaround to try (which might test if this was a size
issue) can be to use "dd"  (thanks to Seth  Kurtzberg for
pointing this out) :

e.g.,

dd if=/tmp/isos/1.iso of=/dev/scd0

Make sure you send to a valid device or you will create a
very large file in your /dev directory.

Though from memory, don't DVD define a Megabyte as being a 1,000,000
bytes rather than 1,048,576 bytes?  (or a GIG as being 1000 Meg?)

Lachlan.

>I had a directory totalling 4.5GB (as reported by du -shL), and asked
>dvdrecord to burn it (piping output from mkisofs, so I don't actually
>know the size of the iso file). I got the following error:
>
>dvdrecord: WARNING: Data may not fit on current disk.
>dvdrecord: Notice: Most recorders cannot write CD's >= 90 minutes.
>dvdrecord: Notice: Use -ignsize option to allow >= 90 minutes.
>dvdrecord: Notice: Use -overburn option to write more than the official
>disk capacity.
>dvdrecord: Notice: Most CD-writers do overburning only on DAO mode.
>
>Does this mean that the data I was trying to burn was actually > 4.7GB?
>I know hard drive manufacturers often quote 1MB = 1,000,000 bytes and
>thus make their discs seem larger than they are - are DVD media doing
>this too?
>
>I then tried the -ignsize option, and it barfed:
>
>dvdrecord: WARNING: Data may not fit on current disk.
>dvdrecord: Notice: Overburning active. Trying to write more than the
>official disk capacity.
>dvdrecord: Operation not permitted. WARNING: Cannot set RR-scheduler
>dvdrecord: Permission denied. WARNING: Cannot set priority using
>setpriority().
>dvdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
>Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 1 in write mode for single session.
>Last chance to quit, starting real write in 0 seconds. Operation starts.
>trackno=0
>dvdrecord: Input/output error. reserve track: scsi sendcmd: no error
>CDB:  53 00 00 00 00 00 23 79 E0 00
>status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
>Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0E 00 00 00 00 21 00 00 00
>Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
>Sense Code: 0x21 Qual 0x00 (logical block address out of range) Fru 0x0
>Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
>cmd finished after 0.006s timeout 200s
>dvdrecord: Cannot open new session.
>

>I reduced the size to a mere 4GB, and it's currently writing fine.
>
>>From what I can see, I'm likely to be able to get 4-ish GB max onto a
>disc.
>
>The media I was using was a Verbatim DVD-RW, drive is a Pioneer 104.
>
>Am I doing something wrong here, or is this just how it's going to be?
>
>Confused,
>
>Matthew Stephenson

-----------------------
Lachlan M. D. Cranswick

Collaborative Computational Project No 14 (CCP14)
    for Single Crystal and Powder Diffraction
  Birkbeck University of London and Daresbury Synchrotron Laboratory
Postal Address: CCP14 - School of Crystallography,
                Birkbeck College,
                Malet Street, Bloomsbury,
                WC1E 7HX, London,  UK
Tel: (+44) 020 7631 6850   Fax: (+44) 020 7631 6803
E-mail: address@hidden   Room: B091
WWW: http://www.ccp14.ac.uk/