dvdrtools-users

[Dvdrtools-users] I finally "gave in" and bought a Panasonic LF-D311 ...

From: Bryan J. Smith
Subject: [Dvdrtools-users] I finally "gave in" and bought a Panasonic LF-D311 ...
Date: 17 Oct 2002 00:04:41 -0400

At $165 for the Panasonic LF-D311SC (bare drive + DVD software CD), I
just couldn't think of a reason not to have a 3rd gen DVD-RAM drive
anymore.  I know there is a newer Panasonic LF-D321 series out, but I
couldn't see any difference in the specs (anyone know?).

Those 3rd gen 4.7/9.4GB DVD-RAM drives also write 1x 4.7GB DVD-R(G), so
I can now burn DVD-R disks.  I was going to "hold off" until some of
those new DVD-RW drives that can burn 4x DVD-R were going to come out,
but I've got old 1st gen 2.6/5.2GB DVD-RAM archives/backups that I'd
like to read.  And DVD-RAM is best for long-term archiving anyway.

Unfortunately, as discussed here, DVDRTools doesn't support the DVD-R(G)
record functionality of the 3rd gen DVD-RAM drives.  Someone here
rumored that you might be able to use the DVD-RAM kernel driver
(normally used for rewriting DVD-RAM) and "dd" to do it, but I haven't
confirmed that it works.  So I'll either have to stick with burning DVD
ISOs in Windows, or buy the CDRecord-ProDVD software.

I'll let you'all know once I get the drive in next week.  Who knows, I
might start hacking in support into DVDRTools?  [ Probably not, since
I'm so busy ]

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I.            Contact Info:  http://thebs.org
A+/i-Net+/Linux+/Network+/Server+ CCNA CIWA CNA SCSA/SCWSE/SCNA