dvdrtools-users

Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Re: Newbie question

From: Bryan J. Smith
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Re: Newbie question
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 13:54:30 -0400 (EDT)

Quoting Pratul Agarwal <address@hidden>:
> Thanks for the very informative e-mail!
> I guess what I am looking from a DVD writer includes:
> 1. Linux support is a must
>   (I got rid of windoze from my work/home PCs)

Right now, for recording (write-once), this is pretty much limited to the
Pioneer DVR series of drives with DVDRTools.

> 2. Media should be cheap

1x DVD-R(G) media is under $1/each nowdays.  Hopefully the 2x and 4x media will
come down in price in the near future.

> - reusable media is desired

That's where it gets tricky.

You see, rewritable magneto optical (MO) technology isn't very reliable.  It's
error rate is far worse than write once dyed optical media.  You can even get
errors when writing the very first time!  Outside of DVD-RAM (and its CD-PD
predecessor, or earlier, proprietary implementations), I don't trust rewritables
myself.

Now Gen3 DVD-RAM drives have 1x DVD-R(G) record capability, but it just isn't
supported by DVDRTools.  I'm getting one in tomorrow, so I'll see if ProDVD
works.

> 3. Fast writing/rewriting (duh, who wants a slow drive?)

Gen3 DVD-RAM is 1x DVD-R(G) record, and 2x DVD-RAM rewrite but the "effective"
performance with verify on (which I highly recommend) is only 1x.  It's the most
reliable, but slowest option.

Gen2 DVD-RW drives record DVD-R(G) are 4x CLV (i.e. "true" 4x).  They also write
DVD-RW at 2x and read at 4x.  It is also the most compatible.

Gen2 DVD+RW drives record DVD+R and rewrite DVD+RW at 2.4 CAV (i.e. max, varies
from 1.2-2.4x), although they read at 8x CAV (i.e. max, varies from 4-8x).

The new Sony combo drive does both Gen2 DVD-RW and Gen2 DVD+RW.  Hopefully its
popularity will lead to support in both DVDRTools (for Recording ISO) and the
Linux kernel (for Rewriting UDF).

> 4. Shelf life < 3 years is OK, since most of my data will be
>     outdated in 3 years anyways.

DVD-R(G) lasts a long time, and is very compatible.

Unfortunately, the problem with rewrite MO media is that errors can, again,
occur _immediately_ upon first write.  Yes, the error rate is 1 in 10^9 or so
(compared to 1 in 10^13 for magnetic or burn optical), but that's still one byte
per 1GB!  No good IMHO.

> I am ready to wait a few months if that is what it will
> take for the things to be a little clearer.

Hopefully the Sony drive will answer all our dreams, and we Linux compatible
shortly.

For now, I have a Gen3 DVD-RAM drive for what I need (long-term archiving).
I'll probably master ISOs in Linux, and boot Windows to burn them.

I will add the new Sony drive as the drive drops closer to $200 and 2x/4x
DVD-R(G) media approaches $1.  This should happen with 3-6 months.

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I.            Contact Info:  http://thebs.org
A+/i-Net+/Linux+/Network+/Server+ CCNA CIWA CNA SCSA/SCWSE/SCNA