dvdrtools-users

[Dvdrtools-users] DVD-R writer speeds/reliabilities

From: Colin Aspin
Subject: [Dvdrtools-users] DVD-R writer speeds/reliabilities
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 09:24:09 -1000 (HST)

Can anyone comment on the writing speeds of DVD-R units and what we might
expect in the next few years?  We use Pioneer A-03/04 units for archiving
data from our facility instrument and use cdrecord-prodvd-1.11 on a RH 7.2
Linux PC.  Even though I've heards though the group that the A-04 can
write at 2x (the A-3 presumably at only 1x) we can't get the software to
anything other than 1x on even the A-04.  We would like to speed up the
process of archiving data to DVD-R so faster speeds would be really
useful.  However, we don't want to lose reliability and data integrity.

What can we expect in the near future on speed and reliability/integrity?

Is cdrecord-prodvd the best software to use?

thanks,
Colin Aspin

--
Colin Aspin - Gemini Scientist, Gemini Observatory 670 N A'ohoku Place,
Hilo HI 96720 address@hidden, ph:808-974-2580, fax:808-935-9650