dvdrtools-users

Re: [Dvdrtools-users] pioneer DVR-105 and dvdrtools

From: Jay Berkenbilt
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] pioneer DVR-105 and dvdrtools
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 19:38:06 -0500

>   > >   So it looks as if the Sony-DRU500 is the only sane choice of
>   > >   drive, but it is supported yet by dvdtools?
>   >
>   > Sadly, no.  But the +R/+RW support with dvd+rw-tools works very well
>   > with it, and you can use cdrecord-prodvd which is free (beer, not
>   > speech) for non-commercial use to create DVD-R and DVD-RW.  I have had
>   > problems, however, with some DVD-R discs that I write with it using
>   > cdrecord-prodvd on drives that I know can read DVD-R in general
>   > without a problem.
>   >

>   Were you able to get cdrecord-prodvd working with it? I was not.

To clarify, "it" refers to the Sony (since the subject still says
"pioneer DVR-105").

I was able to get the sony to work with prodvd for some values of
"work".  cdrecord-prodvd 1.11a35 disregards media speed and the speed
commandline flag.  (It claims to be paying attention to it, but then
doesn't.)  This means that if I use cheap 1x media, I get coasters,
and if I use 2x media including name brand media like Maxell,
Verbatim, or TDK, it succeeds in writing but writes at closer to 4x
than 2x.  The resulting discs are unreadable on some DVD-ROM drives
that can read other DVD-R discs without a problem.  I haven't tried
burning DVD-Rs with this drive under Windows because both Sony
DRU-500A drives I have access to are on full-time Linux machines.
This is with the latest firmware (1.0f).  So, in other words, I can
write discs without error but those discs are not necessarily readable
on all drives.  They are, however, consistently readable on some
DVD-ROM drives and consistently not readable on other DVD-ROM drives.

I just posted a long message summarizing my experiences with this
drive to our local lug mailing list.  If you're interested, I'll send
it along or post it here as well, though it's somewhat off-topic for
this list.

--
Jay Berkenbilt <address@hidden>
http://www.ql.org/q/