dvdrtools-users

[Dvdrtools-users] Pioneer DVR-105 or Sony DRU-500A?

From: Richard Smith
Subject: [Dvdrtools-users] Pioneer DVR-105 or Sony DRU-500A?
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 16:10:23 -0800 (PST)

I would like to know which of these two drives is a
better purchase.  The posters at
http://www.disqworld.com claim that the Pioneer does
not work with cheap media and that the Sony is far
superior.  However, the Sony is still nearly
impossible to find in my country, while the Pioneer is
available now and is cheaper than the Sony.  On this
list, A E Lawrence claimed that the Pioneer *does*
work with cheap media.  I don't know who to believe.

As I understand it, dvdrtools does not support the
Sony.  Is this correct?  So if I bought the Sony I
would be required to use some non-free software
(cdrecord-ProDVD).  I don't like non-free software.
Is dvdrtools likely to support the Sony in the near
future?  I don't mind delaying my purchase for a few
weeks.

Which of these two drives is a better for a free
software user?