dvdrtools-users

Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Newbie - Burning DVD-Rs on Sony DRU-500A

From: Jay Berkenbilt
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Newbie - Burning DVD-Rs on Sony DRU-500A
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 16:12:46 -0500

   Hi.  I'm fairly new to the world of DVD burning.  I have
   a Sony DRU-500A on a system running Red Hat 7.2.  Reading
   the archives of this list, folks have indicated that
   dvdrtools doesn't work with this drive?  I have tried the
   newest release (0.4.1) and also cdrecord-ProDVD, but am
   not having any luck in burning a DVD-R.  I have had some
   success burning DVD+RW's and DVD+R's using dvd+rw-tools
   so the drive seems to be functional and setup correctly.
   In the future I may just stick with the +R/RW media, but I
   do have a spindle of K-Hypermedia general use DVD-R's that
   I would like to be able to use.

Recent versions of dvd+rw-tools support DVD-R and DVD-RW.  I use it to
write those formats with my DRU-500A and have found it to work quite
well.  As for the media, I threw away a spindle of K-Hypermedia DVD-R
discs after getting many coasters even using the drive on low speed,
whereas I have had no trouble at all with TDK, Maxell, or Verbatim
media.  If you have problems with that media, you may suspect the
media instead of the drive.

--
Jay Berkenbilt <address@hidden>
http://www.ql.org/q/