dvdrtools-users

Re: [Dvdrtools-users] growisofs

From: Ted Huntington
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] growisofs
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 10:22:40 -0700

thanks for the helpful info Volker,

> DVD capacity is 4.7 billion bytes = 4.37GB. Block numbers I have
> observed were all 2,298,496 with block size 2048.
>
> > After I made the DVD image, I see only 1GB stored.
>
> See, you're fine :)

no, why can I not put 4 gb on the DVD?

> > I read in an earlier post by address@hidden that
> > cdrecord-wrapper.sh works for Sony DRU-500A (I have DRX-500U).
>
> Nobody can give a guarantee that these drives behave exactly the same.
> Burners are controlled by their own command set, the implementation of
> which is subject to bugs, as with every software. It appears to me that
> manufacturers certainly rush hardware out the door before debugging
> firmware is remotely finished. When the hardware hits the market, it
> will work in the basic settings with e.g. Nero, as those companies work
> together and it's tested. Open source developers do not have access to
> the same information from the drvie's manufacturer, and they can only
> *start* when the hardware hits the market, at which time e.g. Nero is
> already *finished*. Then there's the reverse-engineering problem. And
> who has one of every drive model (and plenty of blanks) to test his
> software?
>
> > Why the
> > key and no source to use cdrecord-prodvd?
>
> Simple, the maintainer(/owner!) of cdrecord added dvd support, changed
> its name to cdrecord-prodvd, and called it a commercial binary-only
> product. He has every right to do so. Tough luck for the rest of us.
>
> > all that is being done is open,
> > fwrite, and close
>
> Far from the truth, see above.

ok I see, each DVD has secret unknown write and read communication protocols
(including instruction sets - that must be relatively simple - write/read,
etc...
but knowing what those are without a billion camera network is impossible).

> Unfortunately dvd support for Linux does not seem to be an active
> field. The only OSS dvd burn program(s), dvdrecord + cdrecord-ossdvd,
> are a very old and very incomplete patch for dvd support added to an
> obsolete resp. current version of cdrecord. Their performance is
> noticably inferior to that of cdrecord-prodvd. I haven't fiddled with
> packet writing yet, support there might be a bit better, but the
> sourceforge sites show close to zero activity. Open source - you want
> it, you make it... ;)

Another gripe I have is with the playing of audio on Linux.  Recording appears
be real-time but playing is no where near real-time.  Why not?  If recording can
be real-time, why not playing?  Pass this on to Linus.  If audio does not play
on
Linux, then the OS looks bad, but the OS is not bad.

thanks
Ted

> Volker
>
> --
> Volker Kuhlmann                 is possibly list0570 with the domain in header
> http://volker.dnsalias.net/             Please do not CC list postings to me.

Ted Huntington
Programmer Analyst I
Main Library
University of California, Irvine
PO Box 19557
Irvine, CA 92623-9557
emesgs:  address@hidden
web page:  http://business.lib.uci.edu/webpages/ted.htm
8:00a-12:00p Business Office (949) 824-8926
1:00p-5:00p  Multimedia Resource Center (949) 824-1674
"Stop violence, teach science."