dvdrtools-users

Re: [Dvdrtools-users] growisofs

From: pink
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] growisofs
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 18:30:41 +0100

To make 4 gig images there are a couple of things you need.

One is your operating system file system has to support 4gig files. (Linux
EXT(2/3), FreeBSD(UFS), (other BSDs), Win2k(NTFS), WinXP(NTFS), NT4(NTFS))
(Not sure if Fat32 supports 4 gig files?? but certainly FAT doesn't)

Two is that you have a tool which is capable of making files that are 4 gig
in size. I don't know if mkisofs will do this by default but certainly the
version of mkisofs I compiled up from the dvdrecord package will do this.

In my setup I am using FreeBSd which supports making files bigger that 4
gig. I am using growisofs (from dvd+rw-tools) which in turn uses the version
of mkisofs that I have on my system to make the 'iso image' file from. This
version is as I said from the dvdrecord package and is known to support
large iso images.

I also have a windows binary of mkisofs which is also capable of large ( <
4Gig) files. This is also quite happy to make image files that I can burn to
DVD.

One thing I saw in one of the mails was you use of cdrecord-prodvd. I looked
into this and one of it's restrictions was only making 1 gig images unless
you contected the author for a key (ie it's a demo). This may explain the
issue of 1 gig burns only.

Hope this info is of use to someone.

Pink.