dvdrtools-users

[Dvdrtools-users] udf filesystem

From: Mitch Davis
Subject: [Dvdrtools-users] udf filesystem
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 01:38:19 +1000

Hi Volker,

You wrote this:

> 2) Use mkudffs. You do this anywhere you can create a filesystem in,
> disk partition or file. Steps:

I have been trying to make a UDF image, and your instructions
helped a lot.  Thank you!

Two minor points:

 - The "dd" can take a long time, when all it's doing is
   writing zeros which will then get overwritten with data.
   If you're generating your image on a filesystem such as ext2/ext3
   that supports "holes" (areas of virtual zero which aren't allocated
   yet) you can replace use of "dd" like this:

     dd if=/dev/zero of=my_music.ext2 bs=1M count=3200

   With this:

     dd if=/dev/zero of=my_music.ext2 bs=1M seek=3199 count=1

   It's MUCH faster and does the same thing.  It relies on Unix being
   able to create files with "holes" in them.

 - I mounted the image using mount -t udf -o loop, but then had
   problems creating files with european characters.  I finally
   found a msg suggesting to use the "-o iocharset=iso8859-1"
   option.  This allows European characters.

Regards,

Mitch.