dvdrtools-users

Re: [Dvdrtools-users] new to the list

From: Bernhard Rosenkraenzer
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] new to the list
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 16:25:14 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003, Shawn Milochik wrote:

> 1.  I downloaded and compiled dvdrtools, and I read the man page for
> dvdrecord.  There is no mention of anything to do with recording to a DVD-R
> -- only to CD-Rs.  Can dvdrecord burn DVD-Rs?

Yes, that's the whole point of dvdrecord.
CD-Rs and DVD-Rs are pretty much the same thing; dvdrecord treats them the
same except there's more space on a DVD-R, and a DVD-R can be written only
in disc-at-once mode.

> 2.  What kind of file do I need to make in order to burn a DVD?  Do I just
> use mkisofs, or is a DVD not an iso9660 filesystem?

You can use mkisofs or mkudffs.

> 3.  If dvdrecord does burn DVDs, which formats does it do?  (DVD-R, DVD-RW,
> DVD+R, DVD+RW).

DVD-R and DVD-RW. No + stuff for now.

> I have a Sony DRX-500UL burner.  It does DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, and DVD+RW,
> and connects via firewire or USB 2.0.

May or may not work. All tested drives are IDE DVD-RWs.
If it works as a SCSI drive, maybe "modprobe sg" will help you.

LLaP
bero

--
Ark Linux - Linux for the masses
http://www.arklinux.org/

Redistribution and processing of this message is subject to
http://www.arklinux.org/terms.php