dvipng

Re: [Dvipng] dvipng not running or crashing when called by MediaWiki on

From: Jan-Åke Larsson
Subject: Re: [Dvipng] dvipng not running or crashing when called by MediaWiki on Windows 8
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 15:37:59 +0200

On 10/23/2013 03:17 PM, Aaron Gray wrote:
> I am working on a pure TeX extension for MediaWiki, based on the
> existing Math extension, and removing the ML code and calling latex
> and dvipng directly.
>
> The extension  works on Linux but on Windows its a different story.
>
> dvipng is hanging when called. The same command line called from
> Windows 8 works fine though.
>
> Any help welcome,

I have never used this in Windows, so I cannot help much. There are a
few question I'd look at. First the trivial questions:

I presume you are trying with the latest version?
With the simplest possible DVI?
The same DVI in both the shell call and MediaWiki?
The same dvipng executable?

More relevant questions are:

Have you checked if your shell where dvipng works has a different
environment from the call environment in MediaWiki?
Can you change to using -d (debug mode) in MediaWiki and capture
standard out?
Perhaps there is no standard out to receive output---this might make it
hang, give -q in that case.

There are probably more that I can't think of just now.

/JÅ

--
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not
tried it."