edu-eu

Re: Introduction / Unified resources

From: lemi
Subject: Re: Introduction / Unified resources
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 11:23:56 +0200

Hi all

I think that is my turn to introduce myself. My name is Mile Sikic
and I work at the Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computing, Zagreb,
Croatia as a member of project team. I have been using Linux since 1996,
mainly for building Linux routers and servers.

My current project is "Free software in schools". This project will be
divided in the few steps. The first step will be testing free software for
desktop application and making systematization of free software. The task of
testing will be find free software alternative for MS Win+Office and finding
minimal hardware resource for comfortable using that.
The next step will include pilot project in a few schools, helping in
teaching and maintaining free software, and producing a base of knowledge.
The final step will include making structure in which users (teachers and
pupils) from the first step will teach and help other schools which would
like to join. During that period we will test other free software solutions
for other desktop applications software development, building servers and
web sites...
I think that main problems are how to make basic infrastructure, explain
people why use free software,  promote, push them to be involved in open
source community....
>From my point of view, that can be made only from bottom, from teachers and
especially their pupils, not from government or departments. Also, pupils
should be included in process of teaching not only learning.
My reasons for joining this mailing list are exchanging information,
experiences and knowledge about using free software in schools.

Regards,

            Mile

Mile Sikic
FER, ZESOI, LSS   - www.zesoi.fer.hr