edu-eu

Re: New to the group

From: Richard Smedley
Subject: Re: New to the group
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 15:26:13 +0100

Susan Stewart wrote:

> Hello everyone!  I'm a little new to the group, so if this is already
> going on and I missed it let me know...

Hello Susan,

This list is a little on the quiet side, so you
prbably haven't missed much ;-)

> I was wondering whether or not there's been any attempt to organize a
> group to help introduce GNU/Linux and GNU educational tools to public
> schools.  One might expect under funded public schools to gravitate
> immediately toward free software as more and more becomes available to
> suit their needs.  However, at least in the United States, Windows
> admins are a dime a dozen, but there is a scarcity of people familiar
> with free software willing to work for what schools are able to pay
> (which is below the poverty line in some districts around here -- US
> teachers are among our lowest paid professions).

Well there are some similarities to this situation in
Europe. However, things vary here from nation to nation,
so I can only reply for the UK. Some of what I say will
apply to other countries, some won't.

> I would really like to see a push to get schools using free software.
>  I'm sure that we are all aware of the devastating effects of high
> software licensing costs on schools. However, unless these schools are
> given the resources to administer GNU/Linux based systems, proprietary
> software will remain their only option.  Making free software a viable
> option for public schools would involve finding volunteers from local
> LUGs, universities, businesses, etc. to help with initial setup and with
> training school staff to use and maintain the systems.  Unless teachers
> know how to use it, and staff is able to maintain the system, all of our
> development efforts will amount to naught.

In the UK schools come under heavily centralised administration
and though they can make some changes themselves these require
resources that most do not have. Thus most will use what software
they are "guided" to use by the government's agents.

Some schools are using Free Software (and some are using non-free on
Linux) - these tend to be schools with a dedicated individual on the
staff, pushing these solutions. Many of these are private schools
with more resources (and less government interference).

Whilst campaigning for change should be carried out at all levels,
it is plain (in the case of the UK, at least) that change can only,
unfortunately, come from above,

To this end the Association For Free Software (www.affs.co.uk) is
aiming to launch a campaign to lobby for changes in UK education
policy.
Anyone on this list who is not on the AFFS list, please join in:

> In conjunction with this effort, I would like to establish resources for
> schools interested in beginning computer related extracurricular
> programs.  We could provide schools with a framework from which to build
> programs that will enrich students not only with added opportunities to
> acquire computer skills, but with the guiding ideals of free software:
> freedom and cooperation.

A lot of this information is available, but in fragmented forms. Schoolforge.net
are doing something similar, but from a rather US-centric viewpoint, and
also looking at non-Free software. It would probably be best to do this in
conjunction with the GNU project's education pages - which are calling for
volunteers :)

> I have put a lot of thought into how these goals could be accomplished,
> and would be more than happy to make a more complete project proposal if
> anyone is interested.

Yes, I am :-)
Please tell me more...

- Richard