edu-eu

Re: Migration to free

From: Hilaire Fernandes
Subject: Re: Migration to free
Date: 13 May 2002 13:58:30 +0200

> 3)H.F. is right that DemoLinux is not a tool for daily use. It is a
> demonstration tool that allows a newcomer to see what free apps are available
> on GNU/Linux. As such it is useful for publicity, but does not deliver the
> speed of an installed system. eg to run Open Office, DemoLinux requires a P3
> or
> better, where as a P1 can run Open Office if Debian Potato is correctly
> installed.
>
> 4)The Seul case studies list is useful, but mixing free and non-free projects
> causes confusion. Would the Offset team have time to get include all the 100%
> free projects from the Seul case studies in a free software case studies list?

Indeed the point 3) and 4) you are talking about are related.
DemoLinux may became very attracting as soon as it will include a set of
package interesting for the education. What we have done at Ofset is to
create a catalogue of such free software then when available we point at
the Debian package when it exists. For example, the following entry of
the catalog reference Chemtool
(http://www.ofset.org/freeduc/view.php?softwareID=29) When we expand
the  version number we got full information about its pedagogic interest
(very subjective for sure) and the information about the existing Debian
package
(http://www.ofset.org/freeduc/view.php?softwareID=29&versionID=68).

As DemoLinux is Debian based, I do not know how hard it will be to build
an additional CD to the DemoLinux (kind of edu application CD).
Do you have any idea about that ?

Hilaire