edu-eu

Re: [edu-eu][Fwd: Re: Edu-EU digest, Vol 1 #131 - 4 msgs]

From: Christian Selig
Subject: Re: [edu-eu][Fwd: Re: Edu-EU digest, Vol 1 #131 - 4 msgs]
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 19:30:40 +0200

Hello Wiebe!

On Sonntag, 22. September 2002 21:53, Wiebe van der Worp wrote:
> We just started the Dutch vrijschrift.org initiative. Our first concern
> is translating patent stuff to Dutch and our second is education. Count
> on me personal, although I don't have much time and I don't meet all
> requirements.

Could you please elaborate a bit on the project? Do you mean the FFII
research on patents? I'd really want to see more translations of their work,
because it is excellent.

> That is why I did send this message to a Dutch EU member P. Plooij
> hoping she sees what we mean, and by giving her this text hoping she is
> willing to take action by seeking a discussion with us.

I hope so.

> Look at http://www.vrijschrift.org/actueel/overheid_01.html to read what
> I mean.

I think Richard gets the point, as usual.

> A lot of teachers are idealistic. Once they understand our social
> principals we have our own snowball!

I'm afraid quite a few of them value technical convenience over freedom
(which was my experience with teachers in the past). Though I'd like to
convince myself from the opposite. If we have some chance to target teachers
directly, we should try it with the younger ones.

> Besides politics, target on media too.

I spoke with Georg Greve a bit on the media issue. The FSFE has quite a few
contacts, despite its young age. As the current network (reg. education) is
not yet powerful enough, media is not yet the target.

> And don't forget your own local groups. For example the Dutch
> OpenOffice.org and Linux user groups are going to help translating
> patent stuff on ffii.org because of their idealism.

There is an initiative in Germany, Pingos, which supports the use of
GNU/Linux in schools. Though they have no policy regarding freedom (except
spreading the use of "Linux" in schools), the very basic idea of local
support is good. I'd love to see that in other countries as well.
(Someone from Pingos on the list?)

> I am new in this group, so missing some information, but as said willing
> to achieve our common goals.

We should keep in touch. Just in case you strengthen your commitment to the
FSF policies ("Free Software" instead of "Open Source", "GNU/Linux" instead
of "Linux", distance from non-free software etc.), you should contact Georg
Greve <address@hidden>. It would be fantastic if your organization associated
with the FSFE.

> It is true. We don't have money for campaigns. But..
> ...we have better arguments by far!!!

The old dilemma of good ideas :-)

Best Wishes,

  Christian