edu-eu

Re: [edu-eu] MOUS alternative

From: Wiebe van der Worp
Subject: Re: [edu-eu] MOUS alternative
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 10:29:07 +0200

Ian, that is great! We definite should adopt it here in the Netherlands as well. We have a "digital drivers license" (NL: digitaal rijbewijs) here, based on proprietory software. An alternative is more than welcome!

I will also send this reply to:
address@hidden (EU, hope to get some responce...)
address@hidden (Dutch OOo group)
address@hidden (core Vrijschrift members)
address@hidden (Matto Fransen GNU/Linux)
address@hidden (Blender and education)

Dutch speaking people are invited to react on http://vrijschrift.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=4

Regards Wiebe van der Worp

address@hidden wrote:
I am starting to put together a system of certification for competence in
OpenOffice.org. This is to counter things like MOUS and to an extent ECDL which
are MS Office focused. I will be starting with a certificate for complete
beginners, but will then develop more advanced certificates initially in line
with the English vocational qualifications framework. Have entered intial
discussion with OpenOffice.org for endorsement. Already have 3 potential pilot
sites for the basic certificate herein England with all 3 running large Linux
at the desktop installations with OO.org or Star Office. If others are
interested, drop me an E-mail and I'll keep you informed. It should not be too
difficult to make certificates fit any national qualifications frameworks
should this be desirable.

Having certificated qualifications is a low cost way of marketing and providing
credibility for the use of free software. It also provides a potential service
revenue stream for commercial companies wanting to make free software part of
their business strategy.

Regards,

Ian Lynch