edu-eu

[edu-eu] summary of the jabber meeting

From: Thomas Jensch
Subject: [edu-eu] summary of the jabber meeting
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 11:20:13 +0100

Hi,

a little bit later than expected i have published a summary on the
meeting. The text you can read below, for a full version (with links)
please have a look at the url: http://blogs.fsfe.org/riepernet/?p=128
=======
review: edu-team Jabber meeting
Already a year has passed since the last edu-team jabber meeting and
therefore we took the opportunity to get in touch with the fellows
again. Although the jabber channel was not as crowed as last year, it
was nevertheless an interesting and inspiring meeting.

Guido introduced his work in the wiki and explained the stakeholder
framework. That approach is a categorization introduced by Anne
Østergaard (pdf) and very appealing to the edu-team, since it allows us
to structure the many bits and pieces of information. As Guido also
pointed out in that blog post, we face an interesting paradox. Many are
interested, but still the fsfe-edu mailing-list is quite a low traffic
one. The stakeholder framework with its seven categories reduces the
complexity of our cause and hopefully enables people to easily make a
difference on the ground.

Maëlle, another edu-team member and currently intern of FSFE presented
the revised leaflets. One is targeted at students and the other one at
school administration. After the public test at the BLIT (Brandenburger
Linux-Infotag) it was decided to split and specialize the leaflets even
more. This allows us to better adjust the arguments towards schools or
universities and make use of specific vocabulary and example scenarios.
Download your copies today and start the discussion in your
neighborhood!

The comments made during the discussion show that we are on the right
track, when segmenting the topic into small portions. As several
participants noted, the reasons for Free Software based education are
very convincing but only aim at rational considerations. A sucessful
strategy therefore should also include emotional aspects to challenge
the well known FUD and worries related to change (a subtle, but nice
example).

By now there is still a lot of white space - at the wiki, on the mailing
list - but that changes. The edu-team works on it. However, by leaving
the work solely to the team, our common cause wont progress as fast as
needed (and expected) by the interested public. With you contributing,
the work will be much easier and less for all of us ;) Specificly your
help with the wiki is much appreciated: share information, case studies,
contact and background information you have about the different
stakeholders so that others can benefit from your experience. Subscribe
to the fsfe-edu mailing-list and start a discussion about facts on the
ground or ideas what to do and meet like-minded people from all over
Europe. In any case you might also want to contact the edu team, be it
to upload content to the wiki or help with $something.

One immediate result of the jabber consultation is the idea for a
monthly edu-team jabber meeting to improve and broaden communication
within the team. Since this has a focus on details and work in progress,
we wont publicly announce it, but surely will keep you updated via blog
posts. Also it seems like a good idea to continue with the public jabber
meetings (the system-hackers already have enabled access for non-
fellows).

On a personal note, i was impressed about how much we benefit from the
diversity of the different european cultures. A french participant
highlighted the importance of the administration to make the change
while a german proposed to focus on the parents. I guess each will
contribute in the area of their expertise and at the end of the day can
benefit from the combined work. Being an european (non-governmental)
organisation is really much fun and produces an amazingly manifold
picture.
=======

kind regards

Thomas Jensch
edu-team coordinator

--
http://fsfe.org | http://fellowship.fsfe.org
Your donation powers our work!   (http://fsfe.org/donate)

Free Software Foundation Europe e.V. is a German Verein registered
at the Registergericht Hamburg (VR 17030). Its president is
Karsten Gerloff.