edu-eu

[edu-eu] join forces to establish an open tablet for lower saxony

From: Guido Arnold
Subject: [edu-eu] join forces to establish an open tablet for lower saxony
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 14:46:41 +0100

2012/3/8 Guido Arnold <address@hidden>:

> I'll try to roughly summarize them in separate emails. We may or may

Daniel suggested to join forces to establish an open tablet for lower
saxony (German federal state) and got
- mental support from Allessandro,
- Aleix from KDE-edu expressed his willingness to cooperate
- Michael K. pointed out that the hardware of the Spark might not be
good enough to promote FS. Aleix in return pointed out that the
hardware will get better eventually. This doesn't help us now, though.
- Michael suggested to contact the Plasma Active team
- Michael referred to the Free your Android campaign
https://lists.fsfe.org/mailman/listinfo/android

So far the summary.

Daniel,
I only skimmed through the Schulverwaltungsblatt [1], but I couldn't
find anything related to tablets. Do you have any further info on
this?

You wrote on March 1.:
> This is taking place right now in Germany, and not only me would like
> to offer schools an alternative to the (wonderful designed, perfect working,
> good-looking, sensational easy-to-use and horrible closed) Ipad and the
> well-organized and perfectly managed and horrible closed-minded Apple
> e-book-campaign.

Whatever we come up with, we will not be able to compete with that in
the short term. There is the danger that we make Free Software look
crappy if we try to.

> I need help to do this. There is hardware (maybe 'Spark'), there is an open
> OS (for example
> the great KDE Plasma Active). Now: there is some open software (which one is
> usable on
> tablets?),where is support (for non IT-professional-companies like schools
> are), how can we
> manage marketing?

I also would like to be able to promote a free alternative and am
willing to help where I can, but I fear that we in the edu-team don't
have the resources to pursue this as strong as it would be needed. I
think the only thing we can do is to point out the advantages of Free
Software again and again and try to find arguments the decision makers
care about.

The question how we can manage marketing is a good one and worth
answering even apart from the Apple iBook issue. This question is
crucial anyway.

Maybe worth to start yet another thread? ;)

Thanks for bringing this up!

Greetings,

Guido

[1]
http://www.mk.niedersachsen.de/download/64762/Schulverwaltungsblatt_03_2012_-_Amtlicher_Teil.pdf
--
Guido Arnold                       Free Software Foundation Europe
http://blogs.fsfe.org/guido     []         Edu team & German team