edu-eu

[edu-eu] Fwd: Should Microsoft design UK's national curriculum

From: Sam Tuke
Subject: [edu-eu] Fwd: Should Microsoft design UK's national curriculum
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 19:08:24 +0100

--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Education Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 17:43:07 +0100 User-agent: Gnus/5.110011 (No Gnus v0.11) Emacs/22.2 (gnu/linux)
Anna Morris <address@hidden> writes:

> Should Microsoft design our national curriculum (and does Brian cox know
> the correct answer to this question?!)
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/9707886.stm
>
> ok, so actually, this has really freaked me out, I had no idea that
> Microsoft were working directly with AQA to design the curriculum. Please
> can people feedback about this?
>
> Anna

I don't have time to watch that, but if it's the thing that Simon Peyton
Jones <http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/people/simonpj/> is chairman
of, don't be freaked out if he has sufficient influence.  I am worried
about the influence of Microsoft (amongst other things) on education in
my university.

Obviously Brian Cox knows about everything, but I'm glad I had more
substantial inspiration as a physicist, and then from people like SPJ in
computing.

--
Avoid success at all cost.  -- Simon Peyton Jones

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: [FSFE-Manc] [Fsuk-manchester] Education Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 17:43:07 +0100 User-agent: Gnus/5.110011 (No Gnus v0.11) Emacs/22.2 (gnu/linux)
Anna Morris <address@hidden> writes:

> Should Microsoft design our national curriculum (and does Brian cox know
> the correct answer to this question?!)
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/9707886.stm
>
> ok, so actually, this has really freaked me out, I had no idea that
> Microsoft were working directly with AQA to design the curriculum. Please
> can people feedback about this?
>
> Anna

I don't have time to watch that, but if it's the thing that Simon Peyton
Jones <http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/people/simonpj/> is chairman
of, don't be freaked out if he has sufficient influence.  I am worried
about the influence of Microsoft (amongst other things) on education in
my university.

Obviously Brian Cox knows about everything, but I'm glad I had more
substantial inspiration as a physicist, and then from people like SPJ in
computing.

--
Avoid success at all cost.  -- Simon Peyton Jones

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] [FSFE-Manc] Education Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 15:49:29 +0000
M$ UK has a large website dedicated to flogging their "licences" to the
education sector:

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/education/schools/software-licensing/licences-for-schools.aspx

Arguably, of course, Microsoft has been complicit in the wrecking of computing
in schools.

Businesses tend to use M$ Office - and have made noises about wanting school
leavers to be already able to use the damned thing (as if it is difficult, or
something).
Schools have complied - and M$ has graciously flogged them licenses at a
"special rate" - as if they are doing them a favour.

Its all crazy, since by the time kids leave school, business computing will
have changed yet again.

Have a read of:

http://www.computingatschool.org.uk/data/uploads/ComputingCurric.pdf

David

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: [FSFE-Manc] [Fsuk-manchester] Education Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 15:49:29 +0000
[...]

--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] [FSFE-Manc] Education Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 14:22:21 +0100 defo - meant if anyone knows anymore about it though, as bbc report is a bit hard to understand

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 12:58 PM, MJ Ray <address@hidden> wrote:
Anna Morris <address@hidden>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/9707886.stm
> ok, so actually, this has really freaked me out, I had no idea that
> Microsoft were working directly with AQA to design the curriculum. Please
> can people feedback about this?

Sure. Where? I've tweeted @BBCClick but presumably AQA should get
some negative feedback too?

www.ethical-pets.co.uk - The pet shop thats all sorts of ethical!

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: [FSFE-Manc] [Fsuk-manchester] Education Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 14:22:21 +0100 defo - meant if anyone knows anymore about it though, as bbc report is a bit hard to understand

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 12:58 PM, MJ Ray <address@hidden> wrote:
Anna Morris <address@hidden>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/9707886.stm
> ok, so actually, this has really freaked me out, I had no idea that
> Microsoft were working directly with AQA to design the curriculum. Please
> can people feedback about this?

Sure. Where? I've tweeted @BBCClick but presumably AQA should get
some negative feedback too?

www.ethical-pets.co.uk - The pet shop thats all sorts of ethical!

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Education Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 12:58:46 +0100
Anna Morris <address@hidden>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/9707886.stm
> ok, so actually, this has really freaked me out, I had no idea that
> Microsoft were working directly with AQA to design the curriculum. Please
> can people feedback about this?

Sure. Where? I've tweeted @BBCClick but presumably AQA should get
some negative feedback too?

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: [FSFE-Manc] [Fsuk-manchester] Education Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 12:58:46 +0100
Anna Morris <address@hidden>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/9707886.stm
> ok, so actually, this has really freaked me out, I had no idea that
> Microsoft were working directly with AQA to design the curriculum. Please
> can people feedback about this?

Sure. Where? I've tweeted @BBCClick but presumably AQA should get
some negative feedback too?

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Subject: [Fsuk-manchester] Education Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 21:12:04 +0100 Should Microsoft design our national curriculum (and does Brian cox know the correct answer to this question?!)