edu-fr

[Edu-fr] new volunteer

From: Susan Stewart
Subject: [Edu-fr] new volunteer
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 19:45:10 -0600

Greetings,
A survey of the gnu.org website drew me immediately to your education section as the perfect place to contribute. My experience speaks directly to this very important area of free software development. In addition to my general programming and system administration experience, I have a decade of experience working within the Illinois public school system, trying to multiply and improve students' opportunities to work with computer technology. In addition to trying to change the system, I have worked directly with both students and teachers on a regular basis as a continuing effort to maintain a realistic view of how technology does and doesn't work in the classroom at a variety of education levels, from primary grades through college. I am acutely aware of the negative impact of high software licensing costs on our public schools, as well as the vastly inadequate training of teachers in applying computer technology to best suit the needs of their classrooms. By making quality administrative and educational software freely available to schools, and helping ease the teachers' transition to new software technology, we can not only improve students' ability to work with computers, but use technology as a vehicle to improve their learning experiences in every area. Education and computers are both passions of mine, and I look forward to uniting the two as a volunteer for the educational resources section of the GNU project. While I am excited to jump in as a developer, I would also like more information on the organizational and management needs of the GNU education activity mentioned on the "How you can help..." page of gnu.org at http://www.gnu.org/help/help.html. I am very interested in taking on this role if I feel that the specific responsibilities are as suited to my interests and experience as I anticipate, and if I feel the workload is appropriate to the amount of time that I can dedicate to this project on a regular basis. Thank you in advance for taking the time to respond to my query. I look forward to working with many other fine GNU volunteers.

           Sincerely,
               Susan E. Stewart