eev

Re: [eev] `ee' with history

From: Eduardo Ochs
Subject: Re: [eev] `ee' with history
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 03:22:50 -0300

Hi Xavier,

> > Hi,
> >
> > I redefined `ee' to place the contents of $EE in the history list.
> >
> > function ee () { set -v; print -s -f "%s" "`cat $EE`"; . $EE $*; set +v; }
>
> I am late on this but how do I use it ? Where should I put this ?
> Is this part of the official eev package (now) ?

"print -s" is a zshism... see:

  (find-node "(zsh)Shell Builtin Commands" "\nprint" "-s")

It says: "-s: Place the results in the history list instead of on the
standard output."

I prefer to keep the old "ee" and Rubikitch's trick in two separate
functions:

  # See:
  # http://angg.twu.net/.zshrc.html#ee
  # http://angg.twu.net/.zshrc.html#eeh
  # http://angg.twu.net/.zshrc.html#hh
  function ee  () { set -v; . $EE$*; set +v; }
  function eeh () {
      print -s -f "%s" "$(cat $EE)";
      echo "(Added to history:)";
      cat $EE;
    }

When I type "eeh" on a zsh prompt the contents of the $EE file are
pushed into the history instead of executed - and then by using <up> I
can edit them at the shell prompt, and using "hh" I can save the last
commands in the history to a temporary file that I can edit in
Emacs...

I am not planning to make the version with "print -s" standard, but
that trick will be mentioned in the info docs.

  Cheers,
    Edrx