eev

[eev] Re: Interacting with SQL servers

From: Eduardo Ochs
Subject: [eev] Re: Interacting with SQL servers
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 08:35:55 -0300

Hi Xavier,

> > > Though I still do not see how to interact with my sql servers via
> > > simple ptys (for eev).
> >
> > can you check if this makes sense, and report back?
> >
> >   http://angg.twu.net/e/sqlite.e.html#sqlite3
> >   http://angg.twu.net/e/sqlite.e
>
> These make sense but I will probably have to write something
> agains sql-mode since I do not see the advantage to use
> eepitch-shell here given the fact sql-mode is a frontend to many
> SGBD including Oracle, Sybase, mysql, ...
>
> This is on my *very* high priority todo list.

if you are starting some kind of inferior-sql-mode from an sql buffer
then there are at least two ways to automate this in a way that other
people can understand easily...

(1) if you are doing this by typing, say, C-f M-o M-o, then a sexp
    like this (note that is it in an sql comment) can function as a
    "hyperlink to the effect of typing C-f M-o M-o":

  -- (eek "C-f M-o M-o")

(2) you can invoke the function directly:

  ---- (find-efunction 'sql-sqlite)
  -- (sql-sqlite)

I tried to run `sql-sqlite' from a file with some sqlite
commands, but I didn't get very far - it even asked for a
username and password, which in sqlite's case doesn't make much
sense... Can you provide more information about how do to
things "in the standard way"?... As I've told you, I have used
SQL very very little... 8-\

Also, how do you set the name of the database, of the client
program, etc? Do you use a "Local variables:" section in your
files? Take a look at this, please...

  http://angg.twu.net/e/sqlite.e.html#sql-mode

I am very interested in supporting SQL, too.

  Cheers,
    Edrx