eev

Re: [eev] Problem with M-k

From: Eduardo Ochs
Subject: Re: [eev] Problem with M-k
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 15:49:50 -0200

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 9:02 AM, Alan Schmitt
<address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to understand the logic behind M-k. Sometimes I hit by
> mistake M-j (it used to be bound to "join-lines" in my configuration),
> and I thought that M-k would take me back to the buffer I was in
> before. Unfortunately, it is not the case, as it often shows a
> completely different buffer.
>
> Digging a little bit into it, it seems that there is an interaction
> with elscreen. M-k works as expected on screen 0, but for other screens,
> it sometimes returns the buffer that is in the last screen (the exact
> behavior is not easy to reproduce). Is M-k supposed to work with
> elscreen?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alan

Hi Alan,

the definition of M-k is as simple as possible on purpose - that lets
everyone understand what it does immediately, and lets me blame other
packages when it does not work =|...

I installed elscreen here (from ELPA) and I am trying to learn it to
find out what is going on - but it just occurred to me that there is
something trivial that I can ask you that will make this fix faster.
The definition of M-k is just this:

  ;; (eek "M-h M-k M-k  ;; ee-kill-this-buffer")
  ;; (find-efunction 'ee-kill-this-buffer)
  ;;
  (defun ee-kill-this-buffer ()
    "Kill the current buffer with fewer warnings than `kill-this-buffer'.
  See: (find-eval-intro \"`M-k'\")"
    (interactive)
    (let ((kill-buffer-query-functions nil))
      (kill-this-buffer)))

Can you check if both `C-x k' (kill-buffer) and `M-x kill-this-buffer'
both work to take you back after typing M-j when elscreen is
installed? My guess is that they should work - because it would be
quite rude of elscreen to break them - and that the problem is
somewhere else, possibly in hooks (that's just a wild guess, of
course)... Anyway, I need to understand elscreen's outer & inner
workings, and that will take some time...

By the way, there seems to be some overlap in functionality between
elscreen and eejump+find-wset... elscreen seems to be able to save
multi-window configurations in a user-friendly way, while find-wset
and friends can be used to create multi-window configurations in
programmer-friendly ways... I will take a look at how elscreen saves
multi-window configs, too.

By the way 2: the high-level ways of creating multi-window configs in
eev were not properly documented... now they are! See:

  (find-multiwindow-intro)
  http://angg.twu.net/eev-intros/find-multiwindow-intro.html

By the way 3: there are two brief comments by Xavier Mallard at this
wiki page,

  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsLispScreen

which indicates that he tried to use elscreen, but got somewhat
frustrated by it... Xavier uses eev (or _used to use_? =/) so we can
use all this an excuse to bother the new elscreen maintainer to make
everything work, and also to integrate eev and elscreen somehow, and
to document similarities and differences...

  More soon, thanks for the feedback, etc =),
    Eduardo