elyxer-users

[eLyXer-users] Re: Loading eLyXer as a module

From: Uwe Stöhr
Subject: [eLyXer-users] Re: Loading eLyXer as a module
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 03:22:28 +0100

Alex Fernandez schrieb:

On the lyx-devel mailing list we read that the version of Python
included in the Windows installer cannot use eLyXer as a module:
Just to clarify: what exactly is the problem? The Windows installer
cannot install eLyXer as a module, because it lacks the capability; or
is it that it cannot load the module? Does running:
  > python -m elyxer --help
work, once eLyXer is installed as a module (using the full version)?

My first problem is to install it as module. How do I do this?

On Linux, the installation amounts to copying elyxer.py in a suitable
location, e.g. /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/.

In case the user have already installed Python, I can install elyxer.py to that location. But when the user updates his Python installation elyxer.py gets erased. I fear that the users won't be aware that a Python update affects LyX. (For example at work the admins automatically update Python and the Python packages they are aware of, but of course not other ones like eLyXer.)
I therefore strictly divide the installation location of Python and its
files/modules.

regards Uwe