Re: [emacs-bidi] Status of BIDI implementation in Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Status of BIDI implementation in Emacs
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 20:21:13 +0200

> From: "Yitzchak M. Gottlieb" <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 12:29:38 -0500 (EST)
>
> What is the current status of the BIDI implementation (display, input
> methods, composition, etc.)?

Not good, unfortunately.  I'm terribly swamped, both on my daytime
job and on whatever free time I have.  So the work goes on very-very
slowly, almost not at all.

What I have now is the basic bidi iterator--a piece of code that
delivers the next character in visual order each time it is called.
This is written and quite thoroughly tested as a stand-alone code, but
needs a few finishing touches before I consider going to the next
stage.

The next stage is to plug this code into the Emacs display engine.
This is a large undertaking, so I need to wait until I have enough
free time to plunge into that adventure.

IMHO, a bidi display is a necessary step before any other development
can be of any practical use.

I'm sorry this is the status, but I'm only a single man overloaded
with too many things to do.