Re: [emacs-bidi] Hebrew text with points

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Hebrew text with points
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 08:29:11 +0200 (IST)

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, TAKAHASHI Naoto wrote:

> I have added a screenshot of our bidi-enabled Emacs showing Hebrew
> sentences with points.
>
>   http://www.m17n.org/emacs-bidi/

Thanks!

> I have already consulted two native speakers.  They said it is not
> perfect but acceptable.

I'd say it's perfect.  What were the reasons people regarded the display
as ``not perfect''?

I do think that a decent way of typing points is important; asking users
to know the Unicode codepoints is too much.

The reason I think this is important is that, IMHO, any experimental
feature like this should first and foremost be used to distill the UI
issues and understand any  potential problems with using the feature(s).

If you agree, you will probably also agree that the details of the UI
should be much more important than the quality of the underlying
implementation.  Issues like input methods, character insertion and
deletion, mouse operations (including cut-n-paste), handling of text
properties and overlays put on bidi text, etc. -- all these are IMHO much
more important to try to implement and get user feedback about than
to worry occasional inaccuracy of bidi reordering or redisplay problems
that require C-l here and there.

Thanks again for working on this!