Re: [emacs-bidi] using fribidi and Pango

From: Tomas Frydrych
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] using fribidi and Pango
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 07:38:19 +0000

Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
On Sun, 4 Dec 2005, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Yeah, having a callback is a good-enough solution. Having
different functions is the other good (and more widespread)
solution.  I don't really like any of them :(.  But if I am to
choose one, I go multiple-functions way.  I easily get fooled by
the overhead of the callback.

I think callbacks is the better solution. In AbiWord (I guess in other applications) the text lives in a piecetable, and the only way to provide you with a continuous string of textual data is for me to walk over the piecetable and make a physical copy of the text into some temporary buffer. Providing a callback means that you can directly store the data in whatever format is most efficient for Pango, rather than having to go through a multiple process of converting things into some other (temporary) things. Moreover, with the multiple functions you will never be able to examine text past the end of the temporary buffer I give you, while with callback you can examine as much as is there, should you need it.

Tomas

___________________________________________________________ To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Yahoo! Security Centre. http://uk.security.yahoo.com