Re: [emacs-bidi] Incorrect cursor display for BN characters at EOL

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Incorrect cursor display for BN characters at EOL
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2010 18:11:58 +0300

> cc: Larry Denenberg <address@hidden>, address@hidden
> From: Larry Denenberg <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2010 07:30:07 -0400
>
> I believe the display is correct:  I see "hello" at the top, followed by
> several blank lines, followed by a line containing "abc^?", followed by
> a line containing "def".  The minibuffer contains "^Q backspace".  But
> the blinking cursor is after the "o" of "hello", not after the "^?".

Then I'm sorry to say that I cannot reproduce this.  I have no access
to a Mac, but I tried this on GNU/Linux and on MS-Windows, both in a
GUI and a tty sessions, and I don't see this problem.  (On Windows, I
inserted the ^? character by evaluating `(insert "\C-?")', because
there's no DEL key on Windows, but I don't think this difference
matters.)

Just to be sure that this is an up-to-date version of the development
trunk: can you tell what is the latest (topmost) entry in
src/ChangeLog?  If it is after May 19, we will need help from the
Aquamacs developers, because I will need to ask them to run Emacs
under GDB and send me some data that is only accessible from the
debugger.

> >> (BTW, it would be nice for this variable's doc to start with an asterisk
> >> so you could set it with M-x set-variable.)
> >
> >Sorry, I don't want to do this.  bidi-display-reordering is an
> >internal variable, not something I'd like users to play with at will.
>
> In that case, perhaps for consistency you should remove the asterisk
> from bidi-paragraph-direction (which *is* visible to M-x set-variable).

There's no inconsistency: bidi-paragraph-direction is a user variable,
intended to be customized, and it will stay like that.

> configured using `configure  '--with-ns' '--without-x' 'CFLAGS=-arch i386
> -arch ppc' 'LDFLAGS=-arch i386 -arch ppc''

Hmm... '--without-x'?  Does it mean you are using a non-GUI session?
Does Aquamacs support the -nw switch?  If so, could you please see if
the problem persists in the -nw session?