Re: [emacs-bidi] Treatment of LRE,RLE,LRO,RLO,PDF,LRM,RLM

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Treatment of LRE,RLE,LRO,RLO,PDF,LRM,RLM
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 06:11:13 +0300

> From: Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 11:06:46 +0900
>
> I think it's about the time to decide how to display these
> formatting characters: LRE, RLE, LRO, RLO, PDF, LRM, RLM.

I agree.

> Eli wrote:
> > Anyway, characters such as LRM should be automatically
> > composed with the character that follows them, and then
> > they will be invisible.
>
> But, if we do that, users lose control exactly which part of
> text he selects or delete, exactly where to insert a text
> because he can't put cursor between LRM, etc. and the
> following character.

Is that necessarily bad?  I'm not sure this will constitute a problem
in the usual cases.

> I can think of these modes:

I agree these modes are useful, but I'm not sure they should be the
default.  Yair wrote some time back that he intends to extend
whitespace.el to cover this functionality, so these ideas (all of the
good, I think) should be used there.

We could let the users use all those, plus the auto-composition with
the following character, and see what they like more.

In general, I believe the recommendation is not to display zero-width
characters.

Thanks.