Who is clobbering my default-frame-alist?

From: Andreas Schwab
Subject: Who is clobbering my default-frame-alist?
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 15:53:04 +0200

I have the following in my .emacs:

  (let ((fontset (if (query-fontset "fontset-startup")
                     "fontset-startup" "fontset-standard")))
    (setq initial-frame-alist
          `((width . 80)
            (height . 55)
            (user-position . t)
            (name . "GNU Emacs")
            (font . ,fontset)
            (vertical-scroll-bars . right)))
    (setq default-frame-alist
          `((width . 80)
            (height . 50)
            (user-position . t)
            (font . ,fontset)
            (menu-bar-lines . 1)
            (vertical-scroll-bars . right))))

and the following X resource:

  Emacs.geometry: 80x55

This makes the initial frame 55 lines high, and all other frames 50 lines,
unless overridden.  Except that it does not work: someone is removing
(height . 50) from default-frame-alist, and new frames come up with only
40 lines.  I have looked at every reference to default-frame-alist and
Vdefault_frame_alist in the sources, but i could not find anything
suspicious.

Any clues?

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab                                  "And now for something
SuSE Labs                                        completely different."